I was auditing files in my USB to clear up space when I saw one called “Year in Review.” The Date Modified was 11/19/2013. I can’t remember if it was a running tally or a year-end round-up of my activities and experiences of 2013. It’s probably not the former because it’s not in order.
Some were solo outings and others were with company. The list looks incomplete to me, or maybe the years are blurring together. In either case, I’m impressed. Here’s the list from 2013 with comments from 2016.
2013 YEAR IN REVIEW
FREE ADVANCED SCREENINGS
- Peeples: Kerry Washington, David Alan Grier and Craig Robinson. Funny
- Grown Ups 2: No Bueno, but it was free, so hey.
- Kevin Hart Let Me Explain: Second time seeing it. I was at the taping at Madison Square Garden and tried to spot myself in the audience. Kevin Hart was at the theater and I spotted Ne-Yo on the way out.
- Battle of the Year: A dance crew movie my brother would love
- The Lone Ranger: Armie Hammer is very tall and very handsome in real life. As much as I love Johnny Depp playing quirky characters, the movie was disappointing.
- The Heat: I fell asleep and lost an earring.
- The To-Do List: So funny and reminded me of the 80s party/sex movies.
- You’re Next: killer/thrasher movie
- Star Trek Into the Darkness: We were literally next and at the door but couldn’t get in because the theater was at capacity.
- The Great Gatsby: I love Leonardo DiCaprio. I should reread the book, but I’m not.
- Man of Steel: As sexy as Henry Cavill is, I fell asleep. Maybe the comfy reclining chair is to blame.
- Lee Daniels’ The Butler: Whew! Got my blood boiling. Forest Whitaker is so good.
- Oz the Great and Powerful: WTF? I want my money back.
- 42: Awesome movie. Got my blood boiling. The history of this country is so ugly.
- The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete: Tears. Indy film starring Jennifer Hudson.
- Fruitvale Station: Tears. Runny nose. Boiling blood. Michael B. Jordan was awesome. The Zimmerman verdict was delivered the next day.
MOVIES ON CABLE
- Behind the Candelabra: Wow. Go Matt Damon and Michael Douglas. Biopics are my second favorite type of movie behind gangster/mob/mafia movies aka shoot-em-up bang bang movies.
- 112: again! I’ll never get tired of seeing these guys. I love them.
- Bruno Mars: Birthday present from a friend. One of my top 10 favorite live performances.
- John Legend: again! I got teary eyed being at a romantic concert solo and that was before he showed a clip from his and Chrissy Teigen’s wedding.
- Kathy Griffin: She came out twirling in a black sequined dress. My first time at Carnegie Hall. It’s gorgeous and she’s hilarious.
- Wanda Sykes: Great seats at Beacon Theater. This lady is hilarious. She made fun of her French wife and kids the whole time.
ON & OFF BROADWAY
- Dreamgirls: Low budget production in Harlem, but the performers did not disappoint. Boy, can they sang!
- Priscilla Queen of the Desert: Werk!
- A Streetcar Named Desire: Blair Underwood is a beautifully beautiful man. Stellaaaaa!
- Toni Morrison @ NY Historical Society: I met Toni Morrison! She autographed my paperback of Home.
- Scavenger Hunt: Fun experience with co-workers, but I’ll never do it again
- Warrior Dash: Great experience. Out of shape. Glad I can cross it off my life “To Do” list
- Blog: Finally made the plunge
- Tailgating Party: I ate way too much. Mets Stadium is awesome. I have no idea who played, let alone won.
- Finished Grad School: Too soon! I wasn’t ready to leave! I have an MFA! Look at me now!
- Trip to DR: I turned cousin Tania’s 30th birthday trip with her boyfriend into a graduation present to myself. Booked on Thursday, was on a flight Saturday.
- Trip to California: Spent my birthday week poolside while working on my thesis.
- Ear Piercing with Bar: Wanted to commemorate finishing grad school. Charlie and Amy were with me.